Charles F. Preston, MD
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Sports Medicine Specialist
Dr. Charles Preston provides state of the art treatment for general orthopedic as well as athletic injuries. His goal is to provide each patient with a complete evaluation of their orthopedic problem, to discuss all treatment options, and match treatment options with patient needs and expectations. He emphasizes conservative treatment before recommending surgery and uses minimally invasive techniques when surgery is required.
He has great respect for the patient’s time and is pleased to be able to offer testing, diagnosis, and surgery as needed, in one location. A goal-oriented physician, Dr. Preston works to speed healing time to return patients to work and athletes back to the field as soon as possible.
While practicing in New York, Dr. Preston was a house physician both at Shea Stadium for the New York Mets and at Madison Square Garden. Since settling in the East Bay Dr. Preston has served as a Clinical Instructor at UCSF and is the founding medical director of the Sports Performance Institute at San Ramon Regional Medical Center. He serves as the sideline physician for De La Salle Football and is an orthopedic consultant for the student athletes at St. Mary’s College.
A resident of Alamo, he supports the community by serving as an orthopedic consultant for local high schools. Dr. Preston is also certified in cartilage transplantation and also in golf fitness through the Titleist Performance Institute.
In his free time, Dr. Preston enjoys various athletic-related endeavors both as a participant and a fan. His favorite team is his family: his wife Tara and four wonderful children.
Muir Orthopaedic Specialists, Walnut Creek/San Ramon, CA
John Muir Medical Center, Walnut Creek/Concord, CA
San Ramon Regional Medical Center, San Ramon, CA
Sequoia Surgical Pavilion, Walnut Creek, CA
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Board Certified
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
California Orthopaedic Association
Alameda-Contra Costa Medical Association
- Sports Performance Institute, San Ramon Regional Medical Center, San Ramon, CA: Medical Director 2010-2016
- De La Salle High School, Concord, CA: Team Physician
- St. Mary’s College, Moraga, CA: Team Physician
- 24 Hour Fitness, San Ramon, CA: Medical Advisor 2012-2014
- NPA/Rod Dedeaux Research and Baseball Institute, University of Southern California: Medical Advis or
- The Pitching Center, Pleasanton, CA: Medical Advisor
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, Fellowship, Sports Medicine/ Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY, Resident Physician, Orthopaedic Surgery.
NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases, Musculoskeletal Research Center, New York, NY, Fellowship, Orthopaedic Research.
University of California Irvine School of Medicine,Irvine, CA; MD.
Univer sity of California Irvine, Irvine, CA; BS, Biological Sciences.
- NYUHJD Senior Resident Research Award, 2007.
- Arthroscopy Association of North America: Resident Scholarship Award, Spring Fundamentals in Arthroscopy Course, 2005.
- Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute Alumni Association: Senior Resident Research Award, 2003-2004.
- Smith and Nephew 19th Annual Resident Research Competition: Best Basic Sciences Paper, 2004.
- Silver Anchor Auxiliary of the Huntington Beach Hospital Scholarship, 2000-2001.
- Bryant Scholarship: For academic excellence in clinical medicine, 2000-2001.
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Summer Research Fellowship, 1998.
- UCI College of Medicine Educational Affairs Service Award,1997-1998.
- Hodges, D., Lee, D., Preston, C., Boswell, K., Hall, L., O’Dowd, D. tipE regulates sodium dependent repetitive firing in Drosophila neurons. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience. 2002 Mar;19(3):402-16.
- Gupta, R., Lin, Y., Bui, P, Chao, T., Preston, C., Mozaffar, T. Macrophage Recruitment Follows The Pattern of Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase Expression in a Model For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Jounal of Neurotrauma. 2003 Jul; 20(7): 671-80.
- Preston, C., Chen, A., Wolinsky, P., Tejwani, N. Posterior Dislocation of The Elbow With Concomitant Fracture of The Proximal Ulna and Radial Head –A Complex Variant of The Posterior Monteggia Lesion. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2003 Aug; 17(7): 530-33.
- Preston, C., Egol, K. Can the Ottawa Ankle Rules Rule Out Arthritis?. The Jounal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2003 Nov; 491.
- Tejwani, N., Chattoo, M., Preston, C., Wolinsky, P. Knee Laxity Associated with a Proximal Diaphyseal Tibial and Fibular Fracture. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2004 Mar; 18(3):186-89.
- Preston, C., Bhandari, M., Fulkerson, E., Ginat, D., Koval, K., Egol, K. Podium versus Poster Publication Rates at the Orthopaedic Trauma Association. Clinical Orthopaedics And Related Research. 2005 Aug; 437: 260-264.
- Di Cesare, P., Chang, E., Preston, C., Liu, C. Serum Interlukin-6 as a Marker of Periprosthetic Infection Following Total Joint Arthroplasty. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 2005 Sept; 87-A(9): 1921-7.
- Preston, C., Fulkerson, E., Meislin, R., Di Cesare, P. Osteotomy About the Knee: Applications, Techniques, and Results. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2005 Oct; 18(4): 258-72.
- Strauss, E., Tejwani, N., Preston, C., Egol, K. The Posterior Monteggia Lesion with Associated Ulno-humeral Instability: Type II Monteggia Variant Lesions with Poor Outcomes. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Br. 2006 Jan; 88(1): 84-9.
- Preston, C., Bhandari, M., Fulkerson, E., Ginat, D., Egol, K., Koval, K. The Consistency Between Abstracts Presented at The Orthopaedic Trauma Association and Their Full-text Publications. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2006 Feb; 20(2): 129-133.
- Fulkerson, E., Koval, K., Preston, C., Iesaka, K., Kummer, F., Egol, K. Fixation of Periprosthetic Femoral Shaft Fractures Associated With Cemented Femoral Stems: A Biomechanical Comparison of Locked Plating and Conventional Cable Plates. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2006 Feb; 20(2): 89-93.
- Fulkerson, E., Della Valle, C., Wise, B., Walsh, M., Preston, C., Di Cesare, P. AntibioticSusceptibility of Bacteria Infecting Total Joint Arthroplasty Sites. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 2006 June; 88-A(6): 1231-7.
- Patel, VP., Walsh, M., Sehgal, B., Preston, C., DeWal, H., Di Cesare, PE. Factors Associated with Prolonged Wound Drainage After Primary Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery AM. 2007 Jan; 89-A(1): 33-38.
- Walsh, M., Preston, C., Bong, M., Patel, V., Di Cesare, PE. Relative Risk Factors for Requirement of Blood Transfusion After Total Hip Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2007 Dec; 22(8):1162-7.
- Walsh, MG., Preston, C., Patel, V., Di Cesare, PE. Risk Factors for Acute Pulmonary Embolism Following Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J.Orthopaedics. 2008;5(2)e10.
- Preston, C.,Egol, K. Midshaft Clavicle Fractures in Adults. Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. 2009;67(1):52-7.
- Preston, C., Maison, C., House, T. Risk Assessment and Prevention of Arm Injuries in Baseball Players. The Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2009 April: 149-153.
- Otarodifard K, Wong J, Preston C, Tibone JE, Lee TQ.Relative fixation strength of rabbit subscapularis repair is comparable to human supraspinatus repair at time 0.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Aug;472(8):2440-7.
- Hodges, D., Preston, C., and O’Dowd, D. TipE regulates sodium current expression and firing properties of embryonic Drosophila neurons. Society for Neuroscience. 1997. 23:362.8.
- Lee, D., Preston, C., and O’Dowd, D. Spontaneous synaptic transmission between embryonic Drosophila neurons mediated by nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Society for Neuroscience. 1997. 23:150.15.
- Preston, C., Bui, P., Modafferi, E., Steward, O., Gupta, R. Altered Expression Of mRNA For iNOS At The Compression Site Of A Chronic Nerve Injury. Orthopaedic Research Society. 2000. 736.60.
- Preston, C., Ranjan, G. Altered Expression of mRNA for iNOS at the Compression Site of a Chronic Nerve Injury. Graduate Research Forum, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California Irvine College of Medicine. June 2001.
- Preston, C., Di Cesare, P., Della Valle, C., Chang, E., Liu, C. Interleukin-6 as a marker for periprosthetic infection following total hip and total knee arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.2005. Paper 320., Smith &Nephew 19thAnnual Residents’ Research Competition. August 2004.,,Orthopaedic Research Education Foundation Tri-state Resident Research Competition. May 2004.
- Preston, C., Bhandari, M., Fulkerson, E., Ginat, D., Egol, K., Koval, K. Podium Presentations or Posters-What is the Best Source of Information at The OTA? Orthopaedic Trauma Association.2004. 57:377-378.
- Preston, C., Bhandari, M., Fulkerson, E., Ginat, D., Egol, K., Koval, K. Can You Believe What You Hear at The OTA? Orthopaedic Trauma Association.2004. 58:379-380.
- The Osteotomy Around The Knee: Past, Present, and Future. Coventry Society Biannual Meeting. October 2004.
- Patel, V., Preston, C., Fulkerson, E., Heibert, R., Di Cesare P. Total Hip Replacement Patients Have Prolonged Wound Drainage When Using Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.2005. Paper 319.
- Fulkerson, E., Della Valle, C., Preston, C., Di Cesare, P. Regional Variations in Organisms Infecting Total Joint Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.2005. Paper321.
- Preston, C., Bong, M., Patel, V., Heibert, R., Di Cesare, P. Role of Autologous Blood Donation and Cell Savor on Transfusion Rates After Total Hip Replacement. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.2005. Poster 009.
- Preston, C., Park, S., Panchal, P., Heibert, R., Di Cesare, P. ASA and Foot Pumps Do Not Result in a Higher Rate of PE Following Total Joint Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2005. Paper 430.
- Patel, V., Seghal, B., Preston, C., Walsh, M., Di Cesare, P. Factors Associated With Prolonged Wound Drainage Following a Total Knee Arthroplasty. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2006. Poster 173.
- Preston, C.,Walsh, M., Panchal, A., Patel, V., Park, S., Di Cesare, P. Risk Factors for Acute Pulmonary Embolism Following Total Joint Arthroplasty. NYUHJD Alumni Association, Sir Robert Jones Research Day. May 11, 2007.
- Current Concepts in Clavicle Fractures. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. University of Southern California. Jan 4, 2008.
- Effective Research and End User Utilization-Bridging the Gap. Injuries in Baseball Course. Andrews Sports Medicine Institute. Houston, TX. Jan 2009.
- Preston,C., Lee, T., Tibone, J., ElAttrache, N., Gupta, R., Park, M., Otarodifard, K., Wong, J. Biomechanical Comparison of Rotator Cuff Repair Consturcts in the Rabbit Subscapularis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2009. Poster 343.
- Spring Training: Injuries in Baseball. John Muir Medical Center. Course Director. Jan 2010.
- Evaluation of the Aging Athlete. John Muir Orthopaedic Update. April 2011.
- SRRMC Baseball Symposium: Stratagies for Healthy Performance. Course Director. Sept 2011.
- Golf fitness 101. Sports Performance Institute. SRRMC. April 2013.
- Golf in the Aging Athlete. San Ramon Regional Medical Center. October 2013.
- Little League Safety Talk. Tassajara Valley Little League. Danville, CA. Feb 2012-18.
- Little League Safety Talk. San Ramon Valley Little League. Danville, CA Feb 2018-19
Laboratory Assistant. Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of California, Irvine.
Laboratory Assistant. Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of California, Irvine.
Site Coordinator, NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases, Reflection Ceramic-Ceramic Hip System, Smith & Nephew.
House Physician, New York Mets, Shea Stadium, Flushing, NY.
House Physician, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY. Sports and Entertainment Physicians, P.C., Bridgeport, CT.
Peer Editor, The Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine, Darien, CT.
Peer Editor, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Philadelphia, PA.
Clinical Instructor, University of California San Francisco, SF General Hospital. San Francisco, CA.
Team Physician, San Jose Stealth, National Indoor Lacross League, San Jose, CA.
Team Physician, Bay Area Breeze, Woman’s Premiere Soccer League, Dublin, CA.
Team Physician, USA Rugby. 7s World Cup. San Francisco, CA.
- Gross Anatomy Course Tutor, NYU School of Medicine, 2003.
- Department of Medicine, Student Teaching Program, UCI College of Medicine, 2000-2001.
- Gross Anatomy Course Tutor, UCI College of Medicine, 1998.
- MCAT Preparatory Course Instructor, The Princeton Review Company, 1995.
- Biochemistry Course Tutor, UCI Tutorial Assistance Program, 1993-1994.
- Operation Access, Medical Provider, Current
- Physician, Pass to Play!, Pre-participation physicals. MOS 2012-Current.
- Medical Director, D1 Rugby National Championships, Moraga, CA 2016.
- Team Physician, Dougherty Valley High School, San Ramon, CA. 2008-2009.
- Event Physician, High School Football, PSAL, New York, NY. 2004-2006
- Philippine Medical Society of Northern California, Medical Mission, 1999, 2004.
- Flying Samaritans Medical Service Organization, 1997-1999.